Tuesday, September 21, 2010

View From The Ditch Bank

ARE WE ALREADY THERE. I read a little story the other day and it went something like this. I say something like this, cause I'm gonna paraphrase some of it. "A man was fishing from the boat dock of a small sleepy coastal fishing village in Mexico. A Mexican man came to the dock in his boat with a nice catch of yellow fin tuna. The man admired this catch of fish and ask the Man how long it took him to catch these fish. Not very long, he replied. "Then why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?" The Mexican man replied, "Because I have enough to support my families needs. I live a very full life, Senior, he said. I sleep late, I fish a little, take a siesta with my wife, play with my children, go into town in the evening and play guitar with my friends. The man on the dock then said, "I am a Harvard MBA and I could help you. If you would fish longer,you could catch more fish and then you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. What then, senior. They you could buy more boats, catch more fish, sell directly to the cannery, making more money, where by you could buy the cannery or start a cannery of your own. What then, Senior. Well, you would have to leave this village, move to Mexico City, then to Los Angeles or New Your in order to run your financial empire. And how long would all of this take, Senior. About 20 years, the MBA replied. Then what, senior? Well, then you announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and make millions. Millions, Senior. Then what? Then you can retire, move to a small coastal fishing village in Mexico, where you sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, go into the village in the evening and play your guitar with your friends.
Sometimes it seems we make our lives too complicated. And That's The View From The Ditch Bank

No comments:

Post a Comment

Answer here if you feel the need