Thursday, July 10, 2014

SHADES OF STAR TREK

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT:  At least that is how the saying goes. I'm sure if the one or two people who may read my posts are Star Trek fans, they will correct me.  But I seem to have a thought in my mind ( yes I do have those occasionally ) thought's that is, of a feature in the Star Trek series where Scotty or some other crew member would walk up to a replicator and dial in a meal of what ever they wanted and it would magically appear, and just like Lucky Charms, it was magically delicious. Well, I am an old people, so I periodically receive old people magazines and news papers.  And I recently received one of said news papers and there was a short article in it that had the head line of       ALL THE FOOD THAT'S FIT TO PRINT.  
Well, I read the article expecting an article on nutrition or something.  Nope, not that at all.  It seems that 20 percent of old people over the age of 50 have difficulty swallowing. So a Dutch company is developing, or has developed, a process to print your food on a computer printer.  Yep, that's what I thought also.  But it goes on to say that Dutch printing presses are cranking out edible foodstuffs, from pork to peas.  The process starts with pureeing  food and filling the tanks of an ink jet like printer. A secret ingredient makes the slurry the proper consistency for squirting to form a reconstituted dish.  It looks and smells much ( I like that term ("much") like the original food but has the benefit of melting in your mouth so you can swallow it.  Residents of a German nursing home are getting the first taste.
Not exactly like a Star Trek replicator, but some how it seems like maybe we are getting closer and we won't even have to go to space to do that.  Yep, just turn on the computer and dial up me a  Taco or Enchilada meal and print it out.  Red or Green.
No, I don't think so either.  Some how it just wouldn't be the same.
AND THAT'S THE VIEW FROM THE DITCH BANK

1 comment:

  1. Uh....

    Sammy has started watching the old Star Treks. He loves them.

    ReplyDelete

Answer here if you feel the need