Monday, May 20, 2013

I MUST BE HAVING FUN

WHAT ABOUT YOU?  You've heard the expression, I'm sure.  You know the one.  Time flies when you are having fun. Well, time seems to be flying, so I must be having fun.  Let me back up a few years, uh, decades, and give you a little background information.
For the few of you that may have read this blog from the beginning, you know that I spent the bulk of my working life in the mining industry.  For the other one or two of you that haven't read this blog much, well, I spent the bulk of my working life in the mining industry.  And during that 40 years and 2 months I worked in the mining business, I worked 16 different schedules.  But the one I will talk about in this post is the one we called the 8 day off schedule.
It worked like this.  We worked 12 hour shifts. 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. for the night shift and 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the day shift. Sometimes we had to be earlier for a safety meeting or some other type of meeting, but I won't get into that for this post. Suffice it to say I am talking about 6 to 6 when I talk about the shifts we worked.  Now, the schedule worked like this.
We would start night shift on a Thursday and work for 4 nights; Thursday, Friday; Saturday and Sunday, coming off shift Monday morning at 6 a.m.  Then we would be off Monday and Tuesday.  Then on Wednesday we would work the day shift for three days and be off on Saturday and Sunday.  Then we would go back to the night shift on Monday for three nights, being off then onThursday and Friday and then starting the day shift on Saturday for four days.  Which meant that starting Wednesday you were off for 8 days.  Yep, 8 days off in a row. Every month.  In case you haven't figured it out by now, we worked 14 day and were off 14 days in every 28 day period. So after the 8 days off, we then went back to the night shift on Thursday to start the cycle all over again. And it took forever for those 8 days to come around. Cause, again, if you haven't figured it out, coming off shift at 6 a.m to start a day off, most of that first day off was spent resting, leaving you with one day to do something. So you looked forward to those 8 days off.  Which took forever to come around.
Now, I mention all this to get to the point of the post.  We have a young couple living next door to us and the man works in the mine, on the 8 day off schedule.  And his 8 days off seem to come around really fast.  He probably don't think so, but to me, being now on the outside and looking in, as it were, it seems they come around for very fast.
So, I must be having fun, cause time sure is flying by.
And THAT'S THE VIEW FROM THE DITCH BANK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Answer here if you feel the need