Tuesday, November 2, 2010

View From The Ditch Bank





IT AIN'T ABOUT YOU: I assume that the few people who actually choose to read my ramblings took some time out of their day to vote. Assuming you were eligible to do so. And except for a possible few County or State politicians, most of the people running for office that said it was all about you, well, it ain't. It's all about them. And the power and perks that they envision they can collect.Especially the power. And about Democrats staying in power, and Republicans taking it away from them. But never about the people. I will note here, however, that the Republican Lady, Susana Martinez, did win the Governor position over the Democrat, Diane Denish. Mrs. Denish in her concession speech said that she would have been the better choice. Mrs. Martinez paid honor to Mrs. Denish for the years of service she had given to the State. Then she gave a good speech, and told what she wants to do. Time will tell if it happens. I hope so. Now, for most of those elected yesterday across the country, If they really wanted to be of service to the country, and since most of them in the National arena politic have more wealth than those of us average people can even dream about, they would take of that wealth and do some good with it, like Bill and Melinda Gates do. Quietly, going about doing good. But since it ain't gonna happen, I will comment on that in my usual uneducated manner.


Does the weather seem to be getting a little cooler now. It is, after all, fall, but the weather predicting type of people say it is one of the warmest falls on record since records started being kept over 100 years ago. Well, it will cool down now. In spite of what the weather people say, you know, about jet streams and La Nino or La Nina, or what ever is in the atmosphere, the warmth has been all that hot air coming from the mouths of those tics wanting to get your vote. And the burning of the millions of dollars on TV ads. Now that the mouths have been closed, and the fires have been doused, the weather will cool.


I was not raised in Arizona, but spent some of my youth visiting that State from time to time. Being in my teens during the 50's, that's the 1950's, I visited a cafe in St. Johns, Arizona from time to time. And on a placard on the wall was a poem that I memorized. Since we are now much removed for the 50's, and I am much past my 50's I have forgot exactly how the poem went. But, I have filled in a line or two of my own, and will quote the most of what that poem said. Here goes.


ELECTIONS ARE OVER


RESULTS ARE KNOWN


THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE


IS CLEARLY SHOWN




SO LETS FORGET ALL OUR SQUABBLES


AND SHOW MY OUR DEEDS


THAT TOGETHER WE HAVE


WHAT THIS COUNTRY NEEDS




AS WE LET ALL OUR DIFFERENCES


BECOME PART OF THE PAST


I'LL KISS YOUR ELEPHANT


AND YOU'LL KISS MY...DONKEY


I have often wished I could find a copy of that poem again, although that is mostly how it was written. Well, I hope all of you who are eligible actually did exercise you privilege to vote and did so for the candidate of your choice. But today many are probably seeing red and many more are feeling blue but whatever your feelings are, if you did not exercise your right to vote, but could have, well then I will quote another placard from the 50's that was on the wall of the above mentioned cafe. It simply said


KWITCHERBELLYAKIN



And that's The View From The Ditch Bank







2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! And yes, I did vote. Now if only a few of the promises of the candidates that won would come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I am delighted that it will now cool down. It was 94* as we went to the Temple yesterday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

Answer here if you feel the need