Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A POST OF FIRSTS

DO YOU REMEMBER YOUR FIRST TIME?  The first time you did something that was an accomplishment.  I am in my 8 decade of life here on this third rock from the sun and I still remember a few things.  Not a lot, maybe, but some.  Like
The first time I rode a bike without my parents holding on to me.  Yes, that was a long time ago, on a Schwinn bike that my parents had bought from a cousin.  But I loved that bike, as far as bikes go, and I still remember the thrill of knowing that I could stay on it without falling over.  Yes, I remember that first.  Some of the other firsts of note were the first time I rode a horse, the first time I roped a calf and the first time I killed a deer.  I vaguely remember starting school, first grade and High School.  
I remember the first time I drove a car. Well, really a pickup.  It was a early 1950's model Chevrolet pickup with a 4 speed manual transmission. I started out in 1st gear and I thought I was really flying when I got to shift to 2nd.  I wasn't really going fast, but as a very young teenager driving for the first time, it felt like it. We were on a dirt ranch road with no traffic.  Of course, I was not a novice at driving, as I had driven a ford tractor on the ranch for a while.  But a pickup on a real road was different.  
I remember the first time I flew in a helicopter. I also remember the first time I rode a commercial bus and on a commercial airliner.  
I remember the first time I ran a caterpillar bull dozer and other heavy equipment. I remember the first time I operated a mining shovel.  I remember the last time I ran a shovel better. That is the day I retired.   I remember the first time I bought a car.  I remember the first time I became a father.   Some of the things that were firsts were just that, but few brought the sense of accomplishment of a little boy the first time he rode a bike with help and knowing that  Hey, I can do that.  And there is no other feeling like that in the world.  Regardless of what that first is for you, when you do that one "first" thing, then you know that other firsts are possible.  AND THAT'S THE VIEW FROM THE DITCH BANK

1 comment:

  1. Well, then. That made me cry. (And I'm having a really tough time picturing you riding a bike...)

    ReplyDelete

Answer here if you feel the need