Tuesday, March 19, 2013

NO, I DON'T KNOW

I did not major in English is High School.  I didn't even minor in it.  Still, I do know a little about what is proper and what is not.  Not a lot, but a little.  And I just have to wonder, as I listen to people talk, in person and on TV shows, if what little I did learn is going by the way side. My wife and I don't like or watch most of the popular shows on TV.  We do keep up with a few.  Even a couple or three of the reality shows.  The one we have been watching, that ended last night, is "The Biggest Loser".  And so often those on the show, like the trainers, start nearly every sentence with the words   "I mean".  Since they haven't said any thing yet, why start by saying "I mean".  They don't have to explain what they mean, until they have said something first.  You know.  Or You know what I mean. No, I don't know.  If I did, you wouldn't have to tell me.  How many conversations do you participate in that has those words said ever so often.  You know.  Better than cuss words, I guess, but still, I'm sure any of my former English teachers would cringe at the current vernacular being used by so many of the masses.  Like.  How many times do you hear this in a conversation.  I often think,  " Well, it's not the real thing, just something like the real thing.  Like, you know, I mean, I think maybe the English Language needs to be made a mandatory course of study in school. I mean, You know, like, in Elementary and High School and College's and Universities.  And I have to wonder.  Are other languages suffering from the same malady?  And THAT'S THE VIEW FROM THE DITCH BANK  

1 comment:

  1. Like totally dude...

    (as to your last quandary, yes. I've read several things about the English and French worrying about the bastardization of their proper languages. Of course, the point was about how they are both being "Americanized" so, maybe we are the whole problem after all?)

    ReplyDelete

Answer here if you feel the need