Thursday, October 15, 2015

HOW'S IT WORKING FOR YOU NOW?????

I JUST HAVE TO ASK.  40 years ago, while I was still a young man, relatively speaking, and working full time, and raising a family, I was paying into the Social Security system.  I wasn't ask if I  wanted to pay into the system, I was just told that I was.  In fact, I have been paying into the system since the late 1950's and continued to do so until just about 3 years ago.  Even though I "Officially Retired" in 2009, I continued to work part time here and there and continued to pay into the system.
Now, back to the 40 years ago thing.  In 1975, the government put into place a rule, or law or whatever they called it, that when the cost of living went up, so would the social security payments. And for the last 40 years they have done so, with an average increase of 4%. Except for 3 years in that 40 years.  And all three of those years have happened since 2010. And the years we did get an increase since 2010, it has been less that 4%. So, how can this be?  Well, it is in the way the law, or what ever it is, was wrote.  It's based on the CPI.  And when the economy is good, the CPI will go up and so will the social security payments.  Well, in 2015, most indicators went up, but the price of gas came down, so that "offset" the other, according to the powers that be back east. However, the government mandated health care system that is now the "law of the land" has risen out of sight, so we, the old and the infirm, are going to have a large chunk of said social security taken away to pay for the higher costs.  Well, if health care is up, food costs are up, housing costs and insurance costs are up, and if I don't drive any where to use the lower fuel costs, it would seem to this old curmudgeon that the system I paid into for 55 + years could afford at least a small increase in benefit payments. Or at the least, not penalize me for getting old and infirm.
AND THAT'S THE VIEW FROM THE DITCH BANK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Answer here if you feel the need