Wednesday, October 15, 2014

BANNED

BANNED IN BOSTON.  Did you ever hear that expression.  I haven't heard it a lot in the last several years.  OK, the last several decades. But it used to be a common saying. There was a time, it seems to my memory, that many things that were accepted other places were often banned in Boston. Now, I am not going into details on this, I just used this as an introduction to the subject of the post.  Banned.  So, what then is the purpose of the post.  Banned.  ME? Well, maybe, but that is not the purpose of this post either.  OK OK, I'll get to the point.
The metropolitan city ( said tongue in cheek ) near where I live has recently passed a resolution banning Wal-Mart fence flags. Well, they called them plastic bags and they didn't really target Wal-Mart, but since they are the largest place of business using these bags in this Metropolitan area, this is what many have referred to. And while the ban is a good thing, many are not for this ban.  But that's another story.  So, starting January 1, 2015, Wal-Mart weed and fence flags are banned.  Well, not exactly, as I understand it.  You can still get your groceries or what ever you spent your money on put in a plastic bag, you just will have to pay for it. Some of the stores are even now beginning to use paper bags, again. And some, including Wal-Mart, have their own reusable bags available for sale if you want to use them. So, it will be interesting to see what exactly transpires come January.  So, can we expand on this?  Well, yes we can.
How about banning paper plates.  We have a neighbor that apparently does no dishes, cause they have paper plates by the dozen in the garbage and often blowing around the neighbor hood on the wind. And beer cases.  How often do we see these around, along with the empty cans that were thrown away by the road after the contents were poured down the drain. And cigarette butts. Usually people who smoke just drop the butt on the ground and step on it. Sometimes. But some will actually use an ash tray in their car, to only empty it in a parking lot some where.
So, while it is a good thing that the ban is in place on the Wal-Mart fence flags, I feel that there are a lot of just common sense things that people can do to keep the environment clean. I have mentioned a few.  I'm sure you can mention many more, if you feel so inclined.
AND THAT'S THE VIEW FROM THE DITCH BANK  

1 comment:

  1. Portland has recycle bins on the streets, as well as garbage cans. I realize there will be people who would do neither, but I've often wondered why there aren't recycle bins on street corners, as well.

    And I love that bag banning is beginning. Makes me giddy.

    ReplyDelete

Answer here if you feel the need