Thursday, January 14, 2010

View From The Ditch Bank

VINYL--What does that word conjure up for you? I suppose it can be many things to different people. Me too. But for this post, I am talking about records. No, not the type you keep so you can effectively lie about your taxes. I'm talking about the kind that you put on a record player and listen to music. You remember that kind. Uh! well maybe not. But it is interesting to me that in this day and time of mp3, cell phones that play more music than make phone calls, Cd's ( who even remembers cassettes now? ) jump drives and all the other electronic means to listen to music, it is interesting to me that there is a rising market for vinyl records. And the search for a turntable to play them on. Well, we have all our vinyl records, 45 rpm's and 33 1/3 rpm albums. Even some 78's perhaps, hidden away somewhere. We have bought some old ones at yard sales, over the years, and yes we also have a turntable to play them on. I know that a complete return to vinyl will not take place. A lot of the interest in vinyl is nostalgia on the part of us oldies to listen to the oldies, but there are some younger ones who are seeking out the oldies also. On vinyl. A few new records are being made on vinyl, but so far it is a small production and a small market. Just mostly looking for old vinyl records. But who knows, perhaps there will be a time when some one puts down the blackberry and makes a call on an old phone that you have to dial the number on a rotary dial phone. Naw, Probably not, but, Sometimes the more things change, the more they remain the same. And That's The View From The Ditch Bank

6 comments:

  1. I had to explain to a group of 2nd graders the other day what a cassette was and finally gave up when I realized that about half of them didn't even know what a cd was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you would really have a problem explaining 45's and vinyl albums, Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think albums are a little easier to explain because a lot of people do albums as "retro" being cool. Cassettes. I can't even begin to think where you would have started, Sharon! (And, sadly, Sammy thinks I put a "movie dvd" in whenever I pop a disc in to burn some music, so he'll be one of those not knowing what a CD is...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grinned all the way through this post. Love it. I too still have lots of old albums and a turntable to play them. All of my kids know "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" because of my old Three Dog Night record from back in the day. We would dance to it when they were little. Dad was scandalized by it, but it sounds pretty tame now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still use cassettes in my car as it doesn't have a CD player (which is a bummer). And I don't own an Ipod. And I'm too cheap to buy one for myself or to get something to make my CDs work in my car. But I do have quite a bit of music on my phone. And I know what a vinyl record is, and even learned how to use Mom's turntable back at Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, here's a couple things that I thought you might like.

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/c7fd/

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/9778/

    You could take your old records and tapes and put them on your pc and make copies of them to take with you in the car when you go somewhere... it'll also clean up the popping and hissing for you if you want.....

    D

    ReplyDelete

Answer here if you feel the need